Metric to Release Remix Album Created by Fans
How do you feel about bands that release entire albums of remixed material? I have always thought it was kind of lazy. Especially since a lot of music these days is entirely over produced anyway, so when you do ahead and release a remix it’s essentially just another “production” of something that “once was” anyway.
However, METRIC has done something a little bit different here. Or shall we say, their fans have. Fans of METRIC were called to create remixes of the Fantasies album and they came through in such a big way that METRIC is releasing an album of fan-creations.
METRIC is pleased to announce the release of their remix album Fantasies Flashbacks, comprised entirely of fan-created remixes of songs from the band’s critically and commercially acclaimed 2009 album Fantasies.
Late last year, METRIC elected to work with Indaba Music when the online musician community offered to provide a platform to launch an innovative crowd-sourced remix contest which ultimately yielded thousands of submissions.
Overwhelmed by the quantity and quality of the remixes, in an effort to honor their fans’ abundant talents and creativity, METRIC compiled a list of their personal favorites and decided to release them as part of this Fantasies Flashbacks deluxe, limited-edition vinyl box set, with all proceeds to be donated to the Center for Addiction and Mental Health (CAMH).
Slated for release on October 11th, 2011, the package will contain:
- 10 x 7″ vinyl singles, each containing an original song from Fantasies and the associated winning remix from the Indaba Music contest;
- A PlayButton digital music player pre-loaded with (the same) 10 winning remixes (one of the first new notable commercial releases available on PlayButton);
- A digital download code redeemable for all music from the 7″ singles (20 tracks including the original studio album version of Fantasies), plus an additional 11 of the band’s favorite remixes. In total this is 31 songs or over 80 minutes of music;
- Two 6″ x 6″, two-sided color inserts featuring fan-created artwork/imagery, track listing, credits and information about the genesis of the remix album and the charitable tie-in with CAMH;
- A limited edition 18″ x 24″ glossy METRIC poster;
- A custom box housing everything listed above.
Fans may also pre-order the limited edition deluxe physical package effectively immediately, while supplies last from METRIC’s online store. By purchasing directly from Metric, fans will receive a 15% discount from the suggested retail list price plus 3 exclusive bonus tracks not available on the retail version of the album.